Getting back to the topic, to recover your data (which is converted to shortcuts), just follow these simple steps:
- Connect your pen/flash/external drive to your computer.
- Go to My Computers and check what drive it is assigned for example F: or G: drive. Lets assume its G: (replace it with correct letter as applicable in your case).
- Click on “Start” –>”Run”–> type cmd and hit OK. This will start command prompt.
- Enter the following command and hit “Enter”.
attrib -H -R -S /S /D G:\*.*
- Now check the pendrive for the files.
If the above command doesn't work then use a third-party tools that you can find on the internet. One cool tool i found is Piriform's Recuva.
Recuva recovers files deleted from your Windows computer, Recycle Bin, digital camera card, Memory Sticks, or MP3 player. And notably it's free of cost. Post your comments if you found any helpful or better tools.